Sunday, October 28, 2012

Alex Katz, Wayne Thiebaud, and Kara Walker.

Alex Katz


When I was looking up Alex Katz's work, I was immediately attracted to the color and the portraiture. Upon further research, I found out that Katz learned painting from drawings. I definitely identify with that. I've never actually learned how to paint, so I approach it similarly to drawing. I figured everyone thought about it the same way as I do, but I was quickly proven wrong. Everyone has a different style, and they all apply the paint in different ways.

Anyway, since I was getting a little side tracked... I'm going to post a few pieces that I really like:



I really enjoy drawing faces and portraits, so these works caught my attention. The paintings look as if they are charicatures of people- they are almost realistic, but the shading and modeling is very flat. Although I don't paint in this style, I appreciate the blocks of color that were used. Personally I just like how all of these look, but I do not think I will ever paint like this. Actually, who knows..


Wayne Thiebaud



Now let's get one thing straight: I have an enormous sweet tooth. That's pretty much all it comes down to as to why I was initially attracted to all of his works. Everything looked delicious! Not to mention, I also saw some beach/Mickey Mouse thrown into his pieces, and I like all of that stuff too! It's like he knows me... But seriously though, after a further inspection of his work, I noticed that he layers his colors. For instance, in those pastel ice cream cones multiple layers of different colors are drawn on top of one another to create the form. I think it's fascinating to look at. I also like his repetition. Personally, I could probably stare at cakes and candy all day, so this is a happy medium! It reminds me of a shop display window. Also, each item is just a few shapes and lines put together. Nothing is extremely fancy or overworked- you can see all of the marks he makes. I might start drawing a lot of food after I finish this blog to be perfectly honest. 


Kara Walker


What I like about Kara Walker's style is that she paints a lot of silhouettes. I think silhouettes are fun, creative, and even though there are absolutely no inner details, just an outline filled in, there is always so much to look at. Generally, there is a story behind the dark figures- a story that the viewer needs to figure out.

 The one above is just one example of her portfolio. I noticed that her work is full of life and motion. It also has a fairytale like quality, but with a few twists. When looking at her paintings I noticed she goes back to her roots and instills an African inspired theme. That's especially unique to her, and I hope that one day I can find something that I do that is unique to me. I believe it's important and more interesting when her personal heritage and perspectives are brought into her pieces. I'd like to possibly incorporate that into my future paintings.








No comments:

Post a Comment