Monday, October 29, 2012

Pat Steir, Edward Hopper, and Fairfield Porter

Pat Steir




Pat Steir's work is different and uses many drips. To me they look like water falls in the above painting. It seems like it would be a great stress reliever to throw paint on a huge wall. His work is the most free-spirited that I've seen, and I like that he's not afraid to make a mess! His artworks are eye catching.

The last two painters I'm going to talk about are two that I added myself.

Edward Hopper






I feel as if once I really get a good handle on painting, I'd like to be able to paint like Edward Hopper. I like how he blends his paint, but keeps it loose at the same time. I noticed a lot of his work has a lonely theme. He paints every day scenes, but with one person, or only a few people casually going about their daily lives. It looks like he captures the moment people stop to reflect on their days/ their lives. On a more practical level, I think his style might help me figure out my interior (if I choose to do an actual interior space like a room).

Fairfield Porter


For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that I have, or eventually will have, a similar style to Fairfield Porter's paintings.

 

I like that he is a suggestive painter. He gets the colors down, but doesn't worry about an extremely detail oriented piece. I think he definitely could if he wanted to- like in the first painting, he shows more details, but is still only suggesting them. The last painting above of the trees is extremely suggestive, but you can still obviously tell that there are different colors in the trees and there are dandelions and other flowers in the ground- even though you can't see the details of the blades of grass. I like how everything is a distinct piece, but I feel like everything blends together at the same time. I also like how his colors are muted and not extremely bright. 


No comments:

Post a Comment